Hello February 2019,
Like many of you, January did not live up to the hype for me and I am ready for the fresh start. To shake off all the expectations of New Year New You, Resolutions, Challenges, yada yada yada.
Here is my January in a nutshell:
- I did not succeed at Dry January. It was more Dryish January. I did drink lots more tea and forgot how much I liked it. I went to bed earlier, read more, found out my favorite sushi joint has awesome green tea when I did not order hot sake. My favorite wine bar I sipped on French Press coffee. I did miss my lazy Sundays cooking, enjoying a glass wine and watching cheesy romantic movies while I meal prepped, so a couple cheat days happened there. Then there was a Military Mom meetup and vodka soda’s while talking about how much we miss our kids was too much to pass up. I fully enjoyed a cocktail while talking to my husband last night watching a movie. I went to bed early most of Jan and bypasssed watching TV to not be tempted to eat or drink, which was good, but I did miss spending time together. So the take-away, trading books and tea during the week for wine and TV will be a keeper. Going to bed earlier was much needed. Enjoying the occasional glass of wine with friends or cocktail with my hubby over good conversation, well that is staying as well.
- Being injured is frustrating and annoying. I set a goal to do a pull-up before my son graduated Bootcamp. I made it to 3 chin-ups and felt good about that. Then my shoulder got injured. I have had to side line the whole thing while it heals, meaning I will lose all the progress I made. Real problem? No. I can still teach my classes. I am healthy, but I am still ……so annoyed.
- 2018 was a big year for my family. My daughter became a mom, which means I became a grandma. My son became a Marine, which brought with it 3 months of no communication. Going from talking t your child once a day to stalking the mailman hoping for a letter was very hard. Then it ended with his graduation ,which was one of the proudest moments of my life. My baby started his Senior Year of High School. I think all the emotions caught up to me and I needed January to just kind of reset. I ate chocolate and ice cream. I was distracted and it was hard to work on new routines for my classes. My son was home on leave and I didn’t want to miss anytime with him. Finally by the last week, I found my groove again.
- I still have a 17 year old at home. He breaks curfew. He is late to school. He talks about all the piercings and tattoos he is getting at 18. But, he is healthy, safe, not on drugs, just embracing the annoying teen thing a little too much, which is why I still need wine and chocolate.
- I started working at 5:30 am 4 days a week instead of 2. Still not a morning person.
- I let my gratitude journal slip which was my favorite habit I established in 2018. I did it every morning. The new work schedule maybe the reason for the change, I only wrote in it a few times at night before bed. This is a routine I want to embrace again. I have noticed the difference with out it and if I set any goals for February, this is it.
So there you have it. Bring on February.